The half knot top knot kind of looks like you didn’t finish doing your hair—which is half the reason it fits so seamlessly into the “messy hair” genre. Instead of pulling up all your hair into a swift coif or a ponytail, you’re taking the top section of your hair and really doing your basic topknot—your go-to whenever you just don’t want your hair hanging around your face.
This style is a favorite with bloggers and celebs—and it’s probably the trendiest “half up half down hairstyle” of the year. As you would have guessed, it looks best in a mess. This how-to by Judy McGuinness, Senior Stylist at Mizu Salon in New York City should fill you in on getting the look in less time than it takes to fix your coffee. Trust.
MORE: Get the Messy Ponytail of Your Dreams
1. You want to start off with bedhead-like hair. Ditch the curling iron and stick to texturizing sprays. You want loose, tousled strands—not curls.
2. Separate a rectangle section of hair on the top of your head. It should be about a 3-4 inch rectangle.
3. Start to put it in a ponytail. Only pull your hair through half-way the last time, leaving your ends out.
4. Now you’ll have your half knot. If the knot is too loose (it might be if you have very long hair), pin it down and in place.
5. Pull the knot apart a little and spray your hair with shine spray for extra sheen on this messy look.