There are officially two weeks until Valentine’s Day and love is in the air for R&B up-and-comer Kehlani and Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving.
In a recent interview with ILY, the Oakland songstress opened up about her basketball beau. Though it may be a bit early to throw around the “L” word, theYou Should Be Here singer has learned a lot about those four little letters. Here are five lessons Kehlani offers in the lovey-dovey Q&A.
1. When you’re in love, you’ll know.
“I think that when you know, you know,” Kehlani told ILY. “There’s no timing on it. You’ll just say it. That kind of feeling exists whether or not they say it back.”
2. You don’t need to be surrounded by flowers and chocolates to get an idea of the kind of loving relationship you want.
“What I missed influenced what I want to have,” said Kehlani, who says she has never been to a wedding.
3. Expressing love on social media should be fun — for both people in the relationship.
“I feel like if the two people that are involved in the relationship are comfortable with it, then nobody else matters,” Kehlani said.
4. Friendship is the best foundation to build a relationship on.
“It was a friendship before anything, and it gradually became something,” said Kehlani (who had Irving on FaceTime throughout her entire ILY interview). “I’m definitely learning how to be super goofy and just enjoy it.”
5. True love should make you feel whole — both together and apart.
“I used to think that love was giving up everything of yourself and giving it to the other person,” she said. “Now, I’ve realized that love is when you have somebody that doesn’t make you give up half of yourself. Love involves you two, not just the other person.”